Amantadine HCL Capsules
Amantadine hydrochloride is an antiviral medication that is frequently prescribed for chronic pain in dogs and cats. Amantadine is used in conjunction with NSAIDS, such as meloxicam, to treat osteoarthritis pain which cannot be controlled with NSAIDS alone.
- Alleviates chronic pain in cats and dogs due to osteoarthritis, cancer, or nerve pain.
- Can be used in conjunction with NSAIDS, such as meloxicam, when your animal is still in pain.
- May be prescribed as an antiviral as well.
- Requires a prescription from your veterinarian.
- Amantadine comes in capsule form.
- Always administer via oral route.
- Give amantadine as directed by your veterinarian.
Prescription drugs can only be shipped upon receipt of an original prescription from a licensed veterinarian. FarmVet can accept an original prescription in one of the following ways:
- The original prescription may be mailed to:
1254 Old Hillsboro Rd, Franklin,TN
- Restlessness and intestinal distress (diarrhea and gassiness) have been reported with amantadine.
- Using amantadine with antihistamines can exacerbate dryness, dry mouth, difficulty urinating, and increased heart rate.
- SMZs (sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim), quinidine, and diuretics can increase the absorption of amantadine, making potential negative effects stronger.
- Do not use amantadine if your pet has kidney, seizure, or behavioral disorders, or liver or heart disease. Inform your veterinarian of any health problems your pet has before starting on amantadine.
- Amantadine is relatively new to use in veterinary medicine. Any suspected side effects should be reported to your veterinarian right away.